• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Visual Studio for Mac... what a ****-show

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visual Studio for Mac... what a ****-show

Carved out an evening for a new coding project and needed to install VS, so thought I'd try the Mac version. Installed fine, looks nice... until I want to use version control. I've got a repo on GitHub but 4 hours later I've entered my password about 30 times, had VS delete my solution a couple of times, but can I get it to push... can I ****.
    I even managed to clone the remote repo on about the 15th attempt from VS, then created a new solution in that directory. Thought I'd cracked it. Until I come to push and now VS says it doesn't have any remotes to push to.

I don't see how it can be so bad. On Windows it works very smoothly. Integration with GitHub should be seamless, especially on Mac where they are presumably targeting users not so familiar. I've been using this stuff since Visual Studio 6 (20 years?) what chance does anyone else have!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

The fan bois at our place use Visual Studio Code on the big mac. How old where the repo's as well as VS MAc wont support pre 2017 projects.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

I was thinking I might try Code instead... truth be told it's not clear what the difference is.

Any IDE which displays "object reference not set to an instance of an object" as the main message when you click "Pull" is clearly just not finished.

I also got an angry message from GitHub saying was was using a deprecated version of Git and how dare I still be using a password. Googled that, and on Mac even updating your version of Git isn't simple. Seems like all the worst bits of Win/Linux using Mac for dev!

Comment

Mac OS is a toy for hipsters.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
          Mac OS is a toy for hipsters.
          Mac OS is actually pretty great. I think I prefer it to Windows and I use both every day. But as a development platform, it seems a mess. You have to go under the surface to find it's almost like Linux, but not quite. I suppose analogous to installing cygwin on Windows (not sure if that's still a thing)

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Mac OS is actually pretty great. I think I prefer it to Windows and I use both every day. But as a development platform, it seems a mess. You have to go under the surface to find it's almost like Linux, but not quite. I suppose analogous to installing cygwin on Windows (not sure if that's still a thing)
            That would because MacOS isn't built upon Linux / Unix but upon FreeBSD...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

That would because MacOS isn't built upon Linux / Unix but upon FreeBSD...
              If you care about that, MacOS isn't for you. If you don't, it might be

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

If you care about that, MacOS isn't for you. If you don't, it might be
                I will at somepoint switch to a new mac - but for the moment as I work from home the dual screen desktop more than meets my requirements and the current m1 macs only support a single external monitor.

Also I would need to check if rider was a suitable development tool compared to VS2019..
                Last edited by eek; 27 May 2021, 15:33.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I use Rider from Jetbrains on Windows, no idea what it's like on the mac but might be worth a try. It seems to suit people that work in a certain way and I find VS clumsy now. Has some shortcomings, not great with WPF for example. But recommend it.

Rider: The Cross-Platform .NET IDE from JetBrains

Comment

With a bit more use, it's actually pretty nice as an IDE but plenty of rough edges and things that are just different to VS-Win. Biggest headache now is trying to move windows/panels around e.g. your watch variables in debug. On Windows they have this incredibly complicated drag and drop system that generally works quite well.
                    On Mac, I have never got a window to go where I want. I end up with them in totally stupid places and no idea how to reset it, every time I drag one it goes in the wrong place.

Also every time I get an exception, it jumps away from my code and I can't find where it came from!
                    And I can't see how to change the text size

But in terms of the core development and running .Net apps on Mac, all works well.

Comment

Working...
                    X